Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Kind of Japanese

For this day I made udon noodles with coconut-curry. It was accompanied by my beloved kinpira-carrots. As dessert I brought little homemade fruit bars with cherry-marzipan-flavour. Yummy!
I also had a very hearty second breakfast - onigiri and raw bellpepper sticks.
I had never eaten onigiri until last week - I just never had had the occasion. Then last week a friend took me to this beautiful Japanese cafĂ©: http://www.akashigallery.com/, and I tried my first onigiri. I had always wondered if these were made with plain sticky rice or if they were seasoned with rice vinegar like sushi. The one I tried seemed to be seasoned, although subtly. It had an avocado-wasabi filling, and today I tried to recreate it at home. It turned out quite nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment